The name Litherland is a hybrid name, from Old Norse hlið/hlith-ar which means "slope" and Old English land "land".
Litherland was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Liderlant, however there was no mention of Liverpool at that time. The first manor of Litherland consisted of one half and two quarters, the areas being Litherland including what is now Seaforth (the half) and present day Orrell and Ford (the two quarters).
Litherland remained a poor area until the arrival of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in 1774, this brought the area into the modern world, originally providing a safe route through Lancashire from Liverpool to Wigan, and eventually in 1816 through to Leeds. The route became very busy primarily for goods and later for the transportation of passengers. The outcome of all this activity was to bring prosperous businessmen from the City to the countryside, where they had a desire to live.
The area was the northern extremity of the Bootle and North Docks lines of Liverpool`s tramway network. From the boundary with Bootle, it ran for 3/4 of a mile along Linacre Road to a terminus at the junction with Bridge Road. This short stretch was the last horse drawn service in Liverpool, switching to electric operation in August 1903, eight months after the rest of the system converted.
The Litherland gala was staged every year and was famous for the procession of shire horses and floats from the docks. The gala procession ended at the Bryant and May sports field.
The Beatles played some of their earliest gigs at Litherland Town Hall in 1961. (Now closed as a council building, it is currently a health centre operated by South Sefton PCT).
ATTENTION INVESTORS!!! Tyrer and Hart are proud to present this newly refurbished large retail unit with large 2 bedroom apartment